Monday, September 24, 2012

why do I buy things I shouldn't? (lyn)


I know there are worse addictions than buying stuff, but that doesn’t mitigate my guilt.

On the plus side, 
  • I have no debt.
  • I won’t wear or use something until it is fully paid for.
  • I am not a hoarder; I empty my closets as often as I fill them.
  • I don’t buy anything with associated high interest rates.
  • I make sure Alexander has everything he needs.

I enjoy the hunt.  Seeking out the perfect whatever.  Or waiting until the perfect whatever is at an affordable price.  I don’t buy a lot on impulse.

True, I don’t spend in other ways. 
  • I can’t remember the last vacation I was on. 
  • I never fly anymore, because I don’t go anywhere.
  • I rarely eat out, unless it’s a special occasion or under $20.
  • I never get the facials and massages I used to get with some regularity.
  • I rarely pay full price for a theater ticket.
  • Same with movies; most of the movies I see are free screenings.

I think buying gives me something to do, and something to look forward to. But like losing weight was a goal I set and met, I will try to do the same with spending.  This one, for me anyway, is much harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment