Monday, September 3, 2012

home again (lyn)


I’m away five days and it feels like five weeks.  My apartment is hot, the mail is overflowing, the refrigerator is empty, and no sun in sight.

I unpack, go through mail, buy a few groceries, and organize. 

I’ll miss:
  • Driving
  • Spending time with my mom and dad
  • Not being tied to my computer (which I feel I am at home)
  • Not watching TV and not missing it
  • An occasional plate of fried clams
  • Cheap(ish) lobster
  • Maxwell’s
  • Spending almost no money
  • And of course, the beach

But…

I savor a bit of Cape Cod and make lobster salad for dinner, having lugged almost a pound of lobster meat home.  At $40 a pound, that’s $20 a pound less than it is here.

I try something different.  I mix some mayo, lemon juice, celery, red peppers, scallions, and pepper together and let it sit for a couple of hours to chill.  Then, I add the lobster and let that chill another hour or so.

I even eat before seven. The lobster roll I make is as good as any restaurant, though it’d be pretty hard to screw this meal up.

Soon I’ll be back to New York life, and eating more judiciously.  Just not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment