Tuesday, September 25, 2012

letter to our readers (lyn)


I don’t write because I think my life is so exciting.  Nor do I think my life is particularly interesting.  In fact, I am probably more typical than not.  I write because I find it cathartic.

I have always written, though not publicly.  My diaries go back to before I was ten.  An exciting entry might be the number of convertibles I counted (on my way to Mattapan to visit my grandparents) vs. how many my sister counted.  I always lost.  Years later, my sister told me that she never even bothered counting.  Whatever my number was, she’d just add a few and that would be her number.  I never occurred to me that I was the only one playing the game.

So now I blog.  In the beginning, M and I had a specific purpose.  We would write about our journey to lose weight.  As expected, the blog became more expansive.  Once I reached my goal, and M stopped blogging, I started a new blog.  And when M said she wanted to write again, I abandoned my blog and joined up with her…so happy she’d returned to writing.

Before starting this blog, M and I had long discussions about blog honesty.  Not that what we write is dishonest, it’s what we don’t write.  We will never invade another’s privacy, nor will we expose feelings that could be hurtful to others.  These parameters often mean not writing about the very things that consume us. 

But I do feel an obligation to anyone willing to read this blog, to at least be honest about myself.  And so I may post things that I know are not flattering. 

I recently wrote about earrings I purchased.  The cost of the earrings was mostly covered by swapping jewelry I already owned but rarely wore.  I have since taken down the post because of a comment I got from a reader.  Like Romney’s 47% comment, I felt the reader judged me in a way that was unfair and overly harsh. It made me cry.

Maybe I’m not tough enough to be writing about anything too personal. 


8 comments:

  1. So many times I want to comment and don't...because I'm afraid my comments will be perceived as "lame" (it's a so-cal word). I have this to say - I thought it was brilliant that you traded in old jewelry for new (even it you had to pay a little extra for the new). Keep writing about whatever you feel like writing whenever you feel like writing...it's your blog...and M's, who I'm happy to see back.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,

    Thank you so much for your kind words. They lifted my spirits (which defintiely needed lifting). And I love reader comments...they are never lame. It's nice to know that there are people who actually read what we write. So please, comment tons; we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry if you felt my comment was overly harsh. You are honest in what you write, which I respect. I was reacting honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What hurt me the most was the reference to my son. I have never deprived him of anything. Whatever it's taken...he's always gotten the best...from education on down. And as I wrote, most of the cost was funded through trading in jewelry I owned. But, I know how it looks; I know I spend stupidly; and I honestly am going to try and change. It's a part of me I really don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand your freaking out about work because I obsess over it myself. Someone was just let go today whom I have lunch with a lot. She was a temp to hire and her numbers weren't there but my numbers this month are not much better. I wish I weren't such a worrier but I can empathize with people who worry. I also understand the shopping thing. I hope whatever that person wrote to you about the earrings wasn't too nasty. I don't know why people don't mind their own business. I thought what you did was smart. You made yourself feel better and you have something to plan for and look forward to.
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I published too quickly..what I left out is that I know that you are a very meticulous and well organized person and I know you have a budget for expenses and contingencies. I think in our sressful lives, we need to do things that make us happy or give us something to look forward to. In fact, I may follow your example and get a pair of great earrings and plan how to pay them off. It would be a lot healthier than my current night eating way of life!
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your kind and supportive words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No need to "justify" your purchases to me.

    People do different things for their own enjoyment.

    OMG, your son went to a fancy private school, lives on the same block as our Mayor, is loved to bits and is now attending an Ivy league school. Does it get any better than that ?? -- even if you had millions of dollars? Of course not.

    I think that something is missing here -- first, you have led a very exciting, high-flying life with jobs most people just dream about. You live in the media and fashion capital of the world. Things (and opportunities) are just different here.

    You are an incredibly kind and generous person -- and the earrings are stunning.

    Like one of the comments reported -- people just do not know how to work with a jeweler. Take me, for example . . . .

    I am not confident walking into anyplace with so much gold and diamonds -- you are relaxed and make great deals and even helped me score a small fortune for some pieces left behind by my Mom. I will never forget your kindness to me for stopping everything you were doing to help me. Your "shopping skills" are merely an outgrowth of a lifetime of great business training and sense of style.

    ReplyDelete