Thursday, September 20, 2012

happy birthday Zelia (lyn)


Today Zelia is 59.  Aside from Vivien (my best friend growing up) and Hazel (a close friend from Chicago whom I've known for over 30 years), all my friends are younger than I am.  At some point in life, maybe in my 40’s, ages seem to blend together.  My mom has friends my age.

Next week we are taking Zelia out for her birthday, but I did want to do something tonight in celebration.  This is Zelia's first year as an empty-nester.  Like me, she is single.  Her son is at Penn and her daughter just left for Dartmouth.  She feels their absence. 

I invite Shari and Zelia over at 7.  I have a 4:30 hair appointment for color and highlights.  I figure (incorrectly) that two hours is more than enough time.  I get home at 7:15; Zelia has already arrived, and Shari comes around 7:30.  No one notices my almost-three-hour hair effort.

Shari and I toast our good friend by opening a bottle of Prosecco, my new favorite drink.  I take a picture of the label so I can remember the brand.  It’s a perfect drink for a non-drinker.


Our plan is to eat sushi, have cake, and watch Arbitrage, a PPV movie that also just opened in theaters.  But good conversation and a bottle of Prosecco get in the way.  We'll watch the movie another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment