Sunday, September 9, 2012

is it too much to ask? (lyn)


I owe Alexander $100 for his football dues.  I tell him I’ll send it as soon as he sends me his schedule.  It’s been about two weeks and I am still $100 richer.  Occasionally he’ll ask if I sent it.  And on those occasions we have the exact same conversation. 

Me:  I’ll send it when you email me your schedule.
Him:  But then you’ll call me all the time when you know I’m not in class.
Me:  Believe me, I won’t.
Him: Okay, but I’m not in my room right now.  I’ll send it as soon as I get in.
Me:  Okay, Good.

And nothing happens.

At the beginning of school, Alexander called and told me he needed an iron to iron his shirts.  I’m impressed with this request and immediately scour the internet and find the best iron on Amazon.  I send Alexander an email with a link to the site (along with my account information) so he can see what I’ve chosen.  I tell him to let me know if the iron is right, or if not, to select something else and I will buy it.  That was three weeks ago.  I still haven’t purchased an iron.

So I’m voicing my frustration to a friend who also has a son who is a college sophomore.  Weeks ago she asked her son, among other things, for the model number on his printer.  She reminds him often, but somehow this isn’t important enough for him to remember.  The other day he calls and asks if he can buy a new Apple computer to replace his current one (only three years old).  My friend agrees and again reminds him about needing the model number on the printer.  A few days later she texts him, “Do not buy the computer.”  He texts back, “Why not?”  She ignores his text (like he so often does with hers).  She expects him to call asking why not, and she’ll then explain that until he responds to her requests, she won’t respond to his.  But he surprises her.  He doesn’t ask why not.  He doesn’t respond at all.  it's been four days.

I may be saving $100 plus an iron; my friend is saving on a new Apple computer.

I wonder if college girls are like this too?  I would bet not.

No comments:

Post a Comment