Monday, September 17, 2012

rosh hashanah at jill's (lyn)


Valerie’s sister-in-law (Jill) is hosting the second night (well, actually, late afternoon) of Rosh Hashanah.  The same group as last night will be there, minus my nephew Jason and his fiancĂ©e Amanda, who are going to her parent’s house.  I dress similarly to last night:  black pants (another pair) and a crisp white blouse (with buttons).  I could pass as a waiter, so I add my 35 inch gold beaded Marco Bicego necklace that I rarely wear.  I can see Robyn laughing as she reads this.  She always teases me about the lack of color in my wardrobe.

I don’t go to temple, as I do not belong to one.  I feel no less Jewish for not attending, but still feel guilty.

Jill prepares the perfect spread of bagels, nova, egg salad, tuna salad with cranberries and tuna salad without cranberries, grilled chicken, Caesar salad, tomatoes, onions, and olives.  Dessert is a 7-layer cake, a fruit platter, multiple types of cookies, and a chocolate coffee cake.  Had Jill invited ten additional people, there would still have been leftovers.

My dieting goal has been put on a temporary hold.  Last night I ate too much, and this afternoon I do again. I used to have a strategy for days like today.  I would: not arrive hungry, skip the appetizers, have small portions of the main course, and eat only fruit for dessert. Now my strategy is a simpler one: eat less starting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment