Thursday, September 13, 2012

book club at my house (lyn)


Tonight I’m hosting Book Club.  Other members do this effortlessly; I do not.

I make a list of the food I’ll serve.  I’m expecting seven women.  I buy four bottles of wine: two red and two white.  The 90-year-old owner (at least that’s what he looks) of my local wine store promises I can return what I don’t use.  But not before adding, “Though we can’t take any wine back if the bottle has been opened.”  I try to picture myself bringing in a half-empty bottle and saying, “Okay, we didn’t finish this bottle.  We drank only about half, so can I get a refund on half?”  I mean really!

I decide to make a brie en croute that Kathleen, another member, served a few months ago.  Hers was delicious, and it looks easy enough to make.  The only ingredients are 8 ounces of Brie, 1 sheet of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry, and ½ cup of seedless raspberry jam.

The rest of my menu consists of shrimp cocktail, grapes, a couple of baguettes, prosciutto, duck pate, red grapes, and a beautiful fruit tart from Agata, along with some chocolate chip cookies.

The food seems to be a success, as most everything is eaten.  The brie en croute is excellent, but it, like the fruit tart, is difficult to cut, and the serving slices look like something that shouldn't be offered to guests . 

The discussion, as always, is lively and engaging.  Because the book, Ménage by Alix Kates Shulman, is universally disliked, discussion of it is brief.  Someone takes a bathroom break and almost misses the entire book conversation. 

Atypical for this group, no one drinks tonight.  Tomorrow I’ll return four bottles of wine. 
All unopened.

Ruth

Penny and Lynn

Andrea

Melanie and Kathleen

Laurie, me and Andrea


Laurie, me and Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment