Friday, September 7, 2012

football, again (lyn)


When Alexander was a junior in high school, he fell in love with football and just had to play.  This news did not please me, but his commitment and enthusiasm won me over.  He played a defensive position and was never tackled.  Even still, I was happy at the conclusion of every game.  

So now Alexander is in college, and I know he is not big enough to play college football.  I was thinking maybe he’d join a flag football team.  Last year he didn’t even do that. 

But now, here it is sophomore year, and Alexander calls to tell me that he’s joining a club that will take up a lot of time.  Three hour practices everyday.  I ask him what the club is, and he says, “Something like Model UN.”  This is a suspicious answer since he never had any interest in Model UN in High School.

I question him and he quickly caves.  “Ok, it’s not Model UN.  It’s football.”  “No tackling, I assume?”  “No, no tackling,” he assures me.

We talk more and then he confesses again.  “Ok, there is tackling, but I won’t be tackled.  I’m playing a defensive position.”  And then he excitedly tells me that the league is called Sprint Football (formerly called lightweight football) and in order to play, you have to be 165 pounds or less.  He qualifies.

There are eight teams, and games are played both at home and away.  There is a 3-hour daily commitment for practice, and weekend games (both home and away).   It’s an NCAA sport and the rules are strict.

I worry about injury.  Everyday I see a new article linking football head injuries to shorter life spans, Alzheimer’s, and ALS.  It’s also a big commitment in time,  but I think Alexander will waste less, not lose more.  And at 19, almost 20, he gets to make his own decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment