Sunday, September 30, 2012

play interuptus (lyn)


There’s this great little theater called Second Stage.  It’s an off-Broadway house that produces contemporary plays.  A few years ago, I ushered there with my friend Penny.  When the stage manager made all the volunteer ushers stand through the entire first act (despite there being open seats), I confronted him.  He later told Penny I could never usher there again.  I’ve hated him ever since.

But I do still love this small theater, and am rarely disappointed in their productions.  Earlier this week, Robyn and I get $4 tickets (regularly $75) to see a new play there.  We are, however, skeptical about the play’s premise:

MODERN TERRORISM,
OR THEY WHO WANT TO KILL US AND HOW WE LEARN TO LOVE THEM
BY JON KERN
In the spirit of Dr. Strangelove comes Modern Terrorism, a provocative satire about a rogue group of 21st Century terrorists and their darkly comic misadventures. 

I call Robyn this morning and suggest not going.  She says, “Nah, let’s go.  We’ve already committed the $8.  If we don’t like it, we’ll leave at intermission.”

But the play turns out to be much better than its name and description suggest.  The actors are all convincing, despite the female lead’s obvious case of laryngitis.  At intermission, I turn to Robyn and say, “I like this.  I’m staying.”  She decides to do the same.

A little bit later, there’s an announcement.  “Due to an illness by one of the actors, the second half of the play will not be performed.  Please arrange for refunds or new dates with the box office.”

Perfect.  We’ll see Act Two next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment