Sunday, September 16, 2012

rosh hashanah at val's (lyn)


Robyn stops over for coffee.  I am proud of the perfect cup I now make with Fairway coffee and my much loved Nespresso Aeroccino machine.





Tonight, 11 of us will be at Valerie's (my middle sister), and the question of what to wear looms large.  Valerie is always impeccably outfitted, as are all the other women attending. Everyone except me is in the fashion business (or married to someone who is).  I consider wearing my turquoise skirt.  Robyn advises me to:

  • Autumn-ize my turquoise skirt by pairing it with a black top
  • Attach a name tag so everyone will recognize me in a top that isn’t white

I wash and blow dry my hair and see too many gray (or are they white now?) roots.  My hair coloring appointment isn’t until next week.  I fear my sister will notice and comment.

I get dressed and change my mind.  I still have a tan and want to wear white on top, and besides, the turquoise skirt, even with a black top, spells spring, not fall.  I find a pair of black pants I’d forgotten about and top it with a white buttonless top and plum cashmere V-neck sweater…a safe and comfortable look.

Adam (my nephew) picks me up at 4:30, and we seem to make the 25-mile drive in five minutes, despite the traffic.  I walk in the kitchen and scraps of the succulent turkey are sitting in a big pan; I can’t resist and take a piece with my hands.  My sister admonishes me, but at least doesn’t comment on my roots.  I immediately regress 50 years.

Dinner at my sister’s is always excellent.  She’s a great cook, and an exquisite hostess.  The conversation never lags, and is always spiked with more than one hilarious story. 

It’s a nice start to the new year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment