Friday, September 21, 2012

jewelry swap (lyn)


Five years ago, my mom bought herself and me 1-inch diamond hoop earrings. They were an unexpected gift, and beautiful.  She came to New York, and together we went to a jeweler I know in the diamond district. 

The earrings are still beautiful, but overtime, we have both decided that we’d much prefer the 1.5-inch hoops.  I have been thinking about this for a while, and decide today to upgrade.  I go to my new favorite jeweler in the diamond district, Chuck at Deena Jewelers.  I discovered Deena’s four years ago when I was selling gold.  I liked Chuck (the owner), his merchandise, his fairness, and his obvious knowledge.  I have been back since, and have taken others to him as well.

I also have a 35-inch white gold, diamond-by-the-yard necklace that I rarely wear.  I decide to trade that in too.

I try on a few earrings.  Some, the diamonds are too small, or not sparkly enough.  Others are too big, or not designed the way I like.  And then Chuck brings out a magnificent pair.  Slightly more than 4 carats, 1.5 inches, F color, VS clarity.   “They are the difference between nice and WOW,” says one person passing by, comparing my current earrings to the new ones.






Chuck takes back my two pieces and gives me full value for them.  I still owe a bit, which I will slowly pay off (or, I might trade in another piece of jewelry I don’t often wear).

So I’ll remember them, Chuck takes a picture.




Now I’m trying to convince my mom to come to New York (where she hasn’t been in a few years) so she can go to Chuck too.  Her bed is waiting.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That’s an absolutely beautiful pair of diamond earrings. You look so gorgeous with it. I also have diamond earrings like those, but mine are only 1-inch hoops. I love smaller hoops because I think they look good with my small rounded face. I’m pretty sure your mom will love those earrings too. I think it would be sweet if you give her a pair of earrings on her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. My mom was in town recently and she also got a similar pair (I posted a photo of her wearing them, under The Engagement Party. Thanks for reading. Just curious...where are you from, and how did you find our blog? Am glad you did.

      Delete