Tuesday, September 11, 2012

job news (lyn)


In January, I was hired as a consultant to a small online publisher.  It was the dream assignment.  The company had developed a unique online product, and they hired me to launch and sell it.  I imagined a new life for me and Alexander.  I believed in the product and thought it could be wildly successful.  My hopes were high.

But the product never took off.  For the most part, I was cold-calling potential users.  Reaching the decision-maker was near impossible.  And if I did, it was usually, “Can you call back in a couple of weeks?  I’ll be out of town on business, and blah blah blah.”  More typically, my phone calls and emails were ignored.

When I did get in to see people, the meetings went well, but then nothing happened.  Never any closure.

It’s been a frustrating seven months.  And today, I get the anticipated-but-dreaded call from my boss.  My contract is being terminated in 30 days (unless demand picks up, which is unlikely). 

I am frightened to be without a paycheck again.  I need to work. 

On a friend’s suggestion, I go on Lululemon’s site and apply for a job.  I expect the application process to be a name, address, and upload your resume type thing.  It’s not.  It’s more like the short answer section on a college application. 

Here’s what I’m asked, and here’s what I write.  (All this for a job that doesn’t require a college degree!).

            
                       
The Top 11 things we want to know about you!

A goal you've achieved that you're proud of (Personal, Professional
or Health)?
Pick one:

Lost 40 pounds in 8 months, got in shape, and have stayed a lululemon size 6 for over two   years.

Launched a blog that attracted readers from all over the world.

Raised my son alone.  He is now a sophomore at Cornell and a really nice kid.    .

How have you elevated someone from mediocrity to greatness?
I was once married to someone whom I thought was an underachiever.  I left him
with the advice to push himself harder.  Many years later he was featured
on the cover of Worth Magazine.  I’m sure it was to prove me wrong.

How will you elevate lululemon?
By showing customers that someone over 40 can look great in
lululemon clothes.

How would you spend an ideal day off with no financial limits?
Skiing the back bowls of Vail, then flying back to NYC on a private jet,
just in time for dinner at Eleven Madison.

If you could high five anyone, who would it be and why?
Steve Jobs for changing our lives.

Tell me a quote you live by:
“Whatever you are, be a good one.”  Abraham Lincoln

What are you most passionate about?
All things New York.

What do you want to be remembered for?
My writing, my photos, my humor and my child.

What gets you up in the morning?
One of my closest friends who lives in Boston.  She calls me every morning at 7, always asking, “What’s up?” even though she knows I’m not.

What is the theme song of your life?
Give Me Everything Tonight by Pitbull; conceptually, I like the idea of living
everyday in the moment. 

What is your favorite way to sweat?
A fast walk around the reservoir in Central Park, under a clear blue sky,
on a 65 degree day.

1 comment:

  1. I was surfing net and fortunately across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.

    chip wilson

    ReplyDelete