Tuesday, September 11, 2012

september 11 (lyn)


Crisp fall day.  Cloudless blue sky.  September 11.  Tuesday.  Exactly as it was eleven years ago.  I can’t believe it’s been that long.  The images from that day, and the associated feelings of disbelief and horror, can still be conjured.

But time has helped heal.  I am no longer afraid to take the subway.  I can embrace this city again and not feel the need to escape it.  I no longer keep a just-in-case bag packed.  I’ve thrown out my bottle of Cipro that expired many years ago.  I can sleep at night not fearing that a terrorist will drive down my street and throw a bomb in Alexander’s bedroom window.  The signs of missing people are long gone from my neighborhood, and the local firehouse is longer flooded with bouquets of flowers. The restaurants are full again.  The city is thriving.  Color-coded terrorist alerts no longer exist.  And Bin Laden is dead. 

Yes, today is a very different day. Thank G-d.

No comments:

Post a Comment