Saturday, October 6, 2012

not exactly the saturday I had planned (lyn)


On Monday, these were my plans for Saturday:

A late morning breakfast with Alexander (maybe I’d even make pancakes).  I was hopeful he’d be coming home.

Then, an afternoon screening of the movie Hyde Park on Hudson, followed by a Q&A with Laura Linney and the director.

Dinner with Zelia.

On Tuesday, Zelia has to cancel.  She’ll be visiting her son at college.

Yesterday, Alexander finally decides he won’t be coming home for the long weekend.

My once-busy Saturday has whittled down to an afternoon screening.

I plan to walk the 2.5 miles there, but rationalize my way out.  It’s humid.  I don’t want to be all sticky throughout the movie.  I need the time to get some errands done.  I just walked four miles yesterday.  I really don’t want to.

So I take the subway.  Two teen basketball players annoyingly dribble a basketball close to my heels.   The subway is packed.  In fact, the first train is so filled I can’t even get on it.  The second one is much better, though it’d be even better if the loud young mothers with their big strollers weren’t on it.

I arrive a half-hour before the screening and see no one.  The screening is at the Scandinavian House (the studios rent out screening rooms throughout the city).  The Scandinavian House staff has no idea where the screening is.  Someone thinks it’s two flights down.  It’s not.  Someone else thinks it’s on the third floor.  It’s not.  And yet a third person is certain it’s on the forth floor.  Wrong again.  I’m starting to get a bad feeling.  Like maybe I’m wrong.

I double-check the invitation.  Right place.  Right time.  Right movie.  Wrong date.  It’s for next Saturday.

I’m back home two hours after leaving, stopping only to pick up groceries.  At least I accomplish something.

No comments:

Post a Comment