Tuesday, October 16, 2012

shake, rattle and roll (m)

I am afraid to stay alone in my house at night.  I'm not just talking overnight.  I am afraid to stay in my house after dark, even knowing my family will be home later.

Tonight, I am alone.  T is at a political fundraiser and Harrison is working.  I try to take my mind off being alone by keeping busy.  I make that nasty Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup and play Law & Order SVU re-runs and do a couple of loads of laundry.

Just as I sit down to my computer with my back to the kitchen door, I hear a rumbling in the house.  It sounds like people running upstairs.

I almost pass out.  My heart is racing.  I call out, "Who's there?"  I cross my fingers that no one answers.

I feel lightheaded and dizzy.  What is going on?

I call my neighbor to talk just so I'll calm down. 

I see something pop up on the bottom of the television screen:

Earthquake hits Maine.  Impact felt in Boston and suburbs.

Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment