Monday, October 29, 2012

sandy in the day (lyn)

8:10 am
Alexander calls early and wakes me.  I turn on the TV.  Latest updates indicate that Starbucks and the stock market are closed — the first time in 27 years for a weather-related reason.  In addition to all public transportation being suspended, the Long Island Railroad and Metro North get added to the list.  The city is at a standtill.  I look out my window.  It’s cloudy and a little windy.  Pretty unexceptional.

view from my street


10:32 am
Winds are picking up, but nothing major.  The Battery and Holland tunnels will close at 2pm.  Except for the lack of buses passing my apartment, things look fairly normal outside my window.

view from my window

2:46 pm
A little rain and more winds. FDR Drive closed in major sections. Seven-day-a-week Agata is also closed.  Get emails from friends in Denver, Chicago and LA, asking if I'm okay.  Seems funny as outside looks relatively normal, with lots of people still walking the streets.  Nice to be thought of though.  Wish we were awaiting a record-breaking snow event.  Feel slightly guilty enjoying the excitement of an impending storm, as I know others will suffer.  But a furious nature awes me.




3:44 pm
The rain is getting heavier.  Gail calls to tell me Con Ed has turned off the hot water in her neighborhood; she lives only 30 blocks south of me.  My water and electricity are fine.  Valerie calls; she is staying in Manhattan.  I tell her I am going to the FDR Drive to take some pictures.  "Are you crazy?  That's ridiculous.  if you're not going to think of yourself, then think of the others you'd be putting at risk if you get hurt."  She must be confusing me with the guy who is jet-skiing in New York Harbor.


4:24 pm
I am sure I won't get hurt, but I bring ID just in case. I put on my tall purple Hunter rain boats that I rarely get to wear and my new lululemon rain coat (that I love, and have already worn multiple times) and head over to the East River.  



I am not alone.  Many people have the same idea.  A few parents have even brought their young children to check out an empty FDR Drive and the big waves on a river that usually has none.


people walking on an empty FDR Drive




I overhear  a 20-something saying, "I wish it were badder."  I want to correct her grammar but don't.  There is still more to come.

2 comments:

  1. Did you hear about the dangling crane on West 57th Street (attached to the tallest/most expensive residential building under construction in NYC)?

    They need to find someone to secure it — it could fall like a missile (these things are huge). The city is evacuating buildings from Fifth Avenue to Sixth Avenue on 57th Street, including Le Parker-Meridien Hotel.

    Where is Superman when you need him??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must live in the safest part of NYC. So glad there is no excitement here.

    ReplyDelete