Friday, October 5, 2012

homecoming or not (lyn)


It’s early Friday morning and I still don’t know for sure if Alexander is coming home for the long weekend.  Every conversation this week has ended with, “I’m not sure; I’ll let you know.”  I ask him if he wants to come home, and his reply is, “Ya, I need to get a haircut.”   Perhaps the barbers are on strike in Ithaca.

I leave my house around eight.  First to go to the dermatologist, and then to pick up my lost (and then found) glasses in the theater district, a four mile walk in all.

Along the way my phone rings.  “Hi; I’m not coming home.  None of my friends are going to be around; there’ll be nothing to do.  And besides, I need to finish a project that ‘s due next week.”

I tell him I understand; it’s his decision.  But I’m disappointed.  I’d hoped to have sushi with him, watch some Homeland and Modern Family, order-in pizza from Al Forno, make him a good steak, and take him to a movie screening.  Oh well, perhaps he found an available barber after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment