Monday, October 8, 2012

see this movie (lyn)


7:30 to 8:30, Sunday night.  I still remember its time slot.

James Garner was my first big movie star crush.  He played Bret Maverick on Maverick, and my parents would allow me to stay up late on Sunday night to watch it.   I would imagine myself playing Brett’s long lost niece.  Really.  I was only six when Maverick debuted in 1957; Mr. Garner was 29, so I was too young to imagine a romantic relationship.  Instead, I settled for a familial one.

Although I've had crushes since then (including Richard Chamberlain as Dr. Kildare), few have captured my heart as much as Ben Affleck has.  Not only is he gorgeous, but he's talented, funny and nice.  He’s a great writer, appears to be an excellent dad and husband, has his roots in Boston, and has a self-deprecating sense of humor ala George Clooney.   I want Mr. Affleck to succeed.  When the media decimated him for his roles in Gigli and Jersey Girl, I wanted to call and tell him I enjoyed those films and to ignore the critics. "You're young.  Move on.  These were just not the roles for you."  I even felt bad when he was unmercifully teased for relinquishing his identity to become Bennifer.  And I rooted for him, and felt personally proud, when he redeemed himself with The Town.

Tonight Corinne, Robyn and I see a screening of Argo.  Mr. Afflek introduces the film, which he also directed, co-produced and starred in.  While it’s only the beginning of screening season, here’s my prediction:  this picture, and Mr. Affleck, will be nominated for multiple Academy Awards.  It’ll be the movie to beat for the top one.

Thrilling.  Funny.  Interesting.  Wildly entertaining.  It’s a great movie.  See it.

No comments:

Post a Comment