Saturday, October 13, 2012

cable police (lyn)


There are big scale examples of people who create hideous crimes against their own people, all in the name of a better good.  Pick up a newspaper on any day and you can find more than one.  How do these people become this way?  Is it possible they once held jobs in security at a retail cable store?

I arrive ten minutes after the doors close at a local Time Warner Cable store.  Tons of people are still inside.  All I want to do is switch out my remote that has stopped working.  The guard at the door won’t even open it.  “We are closed,” he rants.  I tell him I just want to know that if I come back another day, can I get a new remote?  He ignores me.  I am practically begging, “I don’t even live anywhere near here,”  as if this will convince him to let me in.

I am trying to communicate with this guard when another woman approaches the locked door.  “I need to get in.  My son….see him, he’s over there….is inside; I just ran next door to pick up some coffee.”  He ignores her too.  “But my son is in there,” she pleads to deaf ears and a bolted door.

She has different approach.  She doesn’t beg.  She calls the police.  As she is giving the address to a 911 operator, a salesperson inside surreptitiously sneaks behind the guard, quickly unlocks and opens the door, and hands me a new remote.

I contemplate waiting around for the police to arrive, but decide I’ve had enough drama for a Saturday afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Now, next time you just have to remember to wear your clothes right side-out! :-)

    ReplyDelete