Sunday, October 21, 2012

a very chi-chi dinner (lyn)


V  ( the name she actually goes by), M and I have dinner at Lumière Restaurant.  According to its website, we should expect “a unique and extraordinary dining experience offering simple and sophisticated food in an elegant setting.”

V is the foodie among us.  She is even a trained cook.  When M and I arrive she is complacently seated at a table near the door, outside the main dining room.  M and I immediately request a table change.  I think V is appalled by our behavior, despite the restaurant's easy-going manner.  They move us to a nice booth in the main dining area.

I begin the evening wanting to take a picture.  Despite looking great, V is adamant.  "Lyn, you will not put a picture of me on your blog."  I settle instead for pictures of the food.  

Our waiter, a Philip Seymour Hoffman look-alike, is attentive and agreeable to anything we want.  He is, as a waiter should be. 

We all order the squash soup for an appetizer, along with a small dish of pasta.  Everything is described elegantly, as one would expect at a restaurant of this caliber.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Spiced Crème Fraîche and Peppered Pumpkin Seeds


House Made Ricotta Cavatelli
 Broccoli and Roasted Tomatoes, Black Olives, Garlic, Hot Pepper & Pecorino
("With no olives, please" is not a problem) 




Both appetizers are excellent, but I secretly like the squash soup I make better; it's a lot less rich.

Our main courses are all different: V gets a scallop entrée, M gets the swordfish, and I order some complicated veal roulade that I don’t really like but pretend to.  The veal chop I made at home last week was more satisfying.






We also get a side of “exotic” mushrooms.


Finally, we split two desserts:

Concord Grape Sorbet

Sweet Cream Sauce, Candied Peanuts & Peanut Butter Cookies




Valrhona Manjari Chocolate Soufflé Cake
Coconut Sorbet, Candied Cashews and Rum Caramel


M generously picks up the bill.

We get home late, so full it’s hard to imagine ever being hungry again.  We already have next visit's restaurant planned, at least in concept.  Something simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment