Wednesday, October 3, 2012

enjoying my city (lyn)


Out of the house by 9:30.  Am only ¾ ready when M says, “Ok, I’ll meet you outside.”  She’s anxious to start the day, despite nothing being open.  

We walk to Bloomingdales where I return something.  We then end up in the vast makeup department where we both buy conservatively (two lipsticks for M and a rose-tinted cheek stain for me).   Next, we stop by Sam’s office where he comes down to say hi.  Then, it’s over to the jewelry district where we shop and don’t buy.  Our goal is to find a new chain and setting for a necklace of M’s.  Within a half block, M decides to (1) sell her necklace as it's doubled in value since she bought it, (2) alter it slightly, AND (3) keep it as is for her future daughter-n-law(s).  Clearly, she is conflicted. 

We have lunch at Pret A Manger, a great sandwich and salad place.  We split two different wraps, each with a mixture of many ingredients, but with a relatively low calorie count (320).  It’s crowded and the tables are so close that whomever your are sitting next to, you are actually sitting with.

M starts a conversation with the guy next to us… a Vietnamese jewelry designer.   Before leaving, he says in hard-to-understand English, “Nice meeting you.  Hope to see you again.  I come here every Wednesday and Thursday for lunch.”   He’s about 25.

We scoot over to Saks and browse the Gucci purses and McQueen and Loro Piana scarves.  Again, we buy nothing.  We say good-bye, and M heads off to my place to collect her luggage and car.  I head over to Playwright's Horizon to meet Jill.  We see Detroit, a nice little play with David Schwimmer and Amy Ryan that has nothing to do with Detroit.

On my way home, I notice my glasses are missing.  I call the theater, and am relieved when they call me back to tell me they’d fallen between two seats.  But now I’m stuck on the bus, unable to read or play Words With Friends.

I have an excellent dinner of filet mignon and string beans almondine, leftover from last night. 

I love this kind of day.  Full of  exercise (a lot of walking), seeing friends, flitting around the city, and spending almost no money.   

No comments:

Post a Comment