Saturday, October 27, 2012

the engagement party (lyn)


Amanda’s parents are hosting an engagement party for Jason and Amanda. We pull up to the house and it reminds me of a castle where a princess lives.  It is lit beautifully, and is truly one of the most magnificent houses I’ve ever seen.  


I take a picture of Adam and Lindsi before going in.


People inside are dressed to perfection. it is the type of party you would expect to see detailed in Vanity Fair.  My mom looks youthful and could easily pass for someone much younger than her 83 years.  I know how happy she is to be here in New York, celebrating with family.  It is sad that my dad is no longer strong enough to make such a big trip, but he is supportive of my mom’s being here.




The food is amazing, and I eat some of everything.  The appetizers include mini cheeseburgers (the size of half-dollar bills), teeny cheese and bacon sandwiches, little lobster rolls, tuna tartare, coconut shrimp, and others I cannot remember.  There are four main courses, all served on small plates: a codfish with oriental seasoning, chateaubriand atop a Caesar salad, noodles with vegetables in a Chinese take-out box with chopsticks, and three small lollypop lamb chops.  The servings are big enough to satisfy and small enough to try them all. I won’t be going near a scale for awhile.  Dessert is also served in small portions so everything can be sampled.   There are little vanilla milk shakes, sorbet and berries, hot fudge sundae, and coffee ice cream.  Homemade cookies are also served, along with big trays  of penny candies.

The toast to Amanda and Jason is heartfelt and beautiful.  I think it is the fathers of the bride and groom who are the most emotional.  They are a perfect couple, so well-matched and so obviously in love.   


 Before leaving, everyone takes a small cookie celebrating the engaged couple.


Someone whispers to me, “This is the most magnificent party I have ever been to.”  My guess is that everyone attending feels the same way.  it is a truly magical night.

No comments:

Post a Comment