Monday, October 15, 2012

don't make this soup either (m)

Went to a farm stand.  They were sampling a "healthy broccoli soup."  No cream, just low sodium broth, broccoli, onions, garlic, salt, pepper and little pastina.  Tasted great.  Even Weight Watchers approved.

Bought a large package of broccoli and some broth. Biggest decision was which broth....beef? chicken? vegetable?  I figured it had to be vegetable, so I put that in.

Reached for pasta and realized I didn't have pastina (the tiny little specks of pasta).  Mmm.  Okay, I substituted shells, the little ones.

I thought I was being Julia Child-ish by putting the pasta in last and not letting the soup boil very long.  I turned off the stove and covered the pot.

An hour later, my husband came home and I said we were just having soup for dinner.  He is easy to please and said "fine."

I uncovered the pot and found a gelatinous mess, congealed on the surface.  If my pot were an ocean, the beach would have been closed for suspicious biological activity in the water.  The starch from the pasta gummed the surface.

I scraped off the scum, thinking I could salvage the rest of the soup.  The flavors did not mix well.  The vegetable stock tasted odd.  The broccoli smelled like swill.    The "cooked" shells were all mush.

I served it to my husband with an apology.  He ate it.

I had a huge pan full of this stuff.  After T had his bowl of soup, I asked what we should do with the leftovers.

He looked at me as if I were asking a trick question and said, "I don't think I'll be in the mood for this tomorrow."  

Coming from Calvin Coolidge, that said it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment