Saturday, October 20, 2012

drama on the bolt bus (lyn)


The Bolt Bus is the best.  Cheap.  Normal people.  No stops.  And free wi-fi.  It’s easy, efficient, clean, and reliable.

I’m on the 9 o’clock bus on my way to Boston.  I settle into my window seat, take out my coffee, and pull out my magazines, book, phone and iPad.  I could be taking a bus to LA and still have enough diversions to stay occupied.

I plug in my phone and my plug has no juice.  The women across the aisle notices and offers, without being asked, to switch seats.  The people on the bus are thoughtful.

An hour or so into the ride I open my coffee mug. The bus hits a minor bump, and my coffee jumps all over my library book and the sleeve of my white shirt. 

A few minutes after that, as I am reading about poor Demi’s horrible year, I hear, “Tell Brandon I’m not going to put up with his infidelities anymore.”  A loud, should-be-private conversation is now being amplified for us all to hear.  By the time this girl hangs up, I think we all understand why Brandon cheated.

We are cruising along the Mass Pike when a woman makes her way to the bus driver to tell him that someone is locked in the bathroom and can’t get out.  The driver pulls over and tries to unlock the door.  He ignores some of the passenger suggestions, the most helpful being to call the state police.  Eventually a coat hanger frees the embarrassed woman.

For the next half hour we listen to the driver, on speaker, complain to a colleague about the insufficient maintenance given to the Bolt Buses.  I mean really, do I want to hear that the bus I’m riding on may be in danger of breaking down?

Still, you can’t beat $13 to Boston.  We arrive safely, and on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment