Friday, October 5, 2012

role reversal (lyn)


Alexander joins a club and the dues are $75.  He calls and asks if I’ll pay for it.  I say yes, and send him a check that day.  That was September 10.  The check has still not cleared.  “I haven’t had time to get to the bank.”  The bank that’s a few hundred feet from his dorm room.  The bank that’s in the bookstore he frequents often.  Oh and did I mention?  He quit the club a few weeks after joining.

Alexander calls and tells me he needs an iron and small ironing table.  I research irons and ironing tables.  I read the reviews.  I find the best ones.  I order them that day.  They are delivered on September 24.

Alexander moves to a new dorm and no longer has access to his roommate’s refrigerator.  He calls and tells me he needs one.  How big?  One with freezer or one without?  Black, white or stainless?  I read the reviews; I pick the one with the best rating.  It is delivered on September 28.

None of the items I shipped to Alexander have been retrieved.  “I’ve been too busy,” he tells me.  They are sitting in the mailroom.  The mailroom that is downstairs IN HIS DORM!

Today Alexander asks me for money.  He won’t be able to use his dining card over the four-day break.  “And also, think of all the money you’re saving by my not coming home this weekend.  First, there’s the bus fare.  And all the food we would have eaten.  Plus, I’m, sure you’d have wanted to go out for dinner at least once.”  “Okay,“ I agree. “I’ll send you some money.”  And I will.  But I think I’ll respond in the same way he would if I were doing the asking.

Let’s see.  Tomorrow is a busy day.  Farmer’s market in the morning.  A screening for Hyde Park on Hudson in the afternoon.  Then theater on Sunday.  A business meeting and a screening of Argo on Monday.  Yoga on Tuesday.  A doctor’s appointment and a screening of Smashed on Wednesday.  Yoga and another meeting Thursday.  Theater on Friday.  Gee, I hope I can squeeze it in.  More importantly, I hope I can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment