Saturday, October 13, 2012

a dressing misstep (lyn)


It’s a gorgeous fall day.  I’m meeting Gail for lunch and a screening of Hyde Park on Hudson.  It’s about 50 degrees, time to finally take out my fall clothes.

I decide on a tiny black wool skirt by All Saints.  It’s a little short and a little see through, but with solid tights, knee high suede shearling boots, a cape-like black cashmere sweater, and a black and white scarf, it looks great.  I feel youthful and hip.

I check myself in a full-length mirror several times before leaving.  Yup; this is a great fall look.

I meet Gail at Smorgas Chef, which is a crowded little restaurant in Scandinavian House where the screening is. I skip the Swedish-sounding foods and chose a very American brunch of orange juice, eggs benedict and coffee.  Everything is delicious.

A Q&A with the writer, director, Laura Linney and Bill Murray follows the film.  They are all perceptive, quick-witted, intelligent and articulate. 

On my way home I stop by Robyn’s.  She looks at me and says, “You know, your skirt is on inside out.”  I look down and my little black skirt is showing its seams, along with its tags.  

I left the house feeling downtown chic, only to return feeling uptown stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment