Sunday, October 14, 2012

the jewish factor (lyn)


I am a cultural Jew, not a religious one.  My friends share all kinds of religious backgrounds.  Coincidentally, some of my closest friends are not Jewish.  I have really never thought much about who is Jewish and who isn’t.  It doesn’t matter that much to me. 

So I surprised myself when Alexander was considering colleges, and I dismissed some because of the scarcity of Jews on campus.  I even came across an article that showed the Jewish population at the top colleges and universities.  Suddenly it was important that my son be in a community where Jews were present.

Alexander goes to Cornell.  It happens that Cornell is listed 4th (behind NYU, BU, and Yeshiva University) for having the largest Jewish undergrad population.  22%.  It's not why Alexander chose Cornell, but it's a nice statistic anyway.

Alexander is now in the process of looking for an apartment for next year.  He first looks with his roommate from last year who is Haitian.  The apartment they find is in a great location but is an absolute dump.  Alexander decides against it.  The next group he looks with finds an apartment that is nicer, but too far from campus.  He decides against this one too.  Next he plans to look with another friend.  I ask his name; he’s hesitant to give it.  Finally, he says, “Okay, his name is Hashim,” or something like that.  “Don’t you have any Jewish friends?” I ask.  “I hate when you say that.”  My son is blind when it comes to religion and color.  I am proud of him for that, but that doesn’t stop me from wishing he had a Jewish roommate or two.

Today I wake up and see that Alexander has texted me.  “I think I may have found a Jew to live with next year.”

Whether it’s true or not, I don’t know.   But it certainly makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment