Sunday, November 18, 2012

an impossible task (lyn)


For the past few years, it’s become a family tradition to see a movie the day after Thanksgiving.  In 2009, we all saw Blindside.  I think that may have been the last movie my parents saw in a theater.

Last year, eleven of us split into two groups (my parents chose not to come): half of us saw the unmemorable Like Crazy, and the other half saw a movie they hated, The Guard.   The British accents were so thick they couldn’t even follow the plot.

To avoid a bad choice this year, my sister sends out the following email last week:

In order to minimize a re-occurrence of seeing a less than acceptable movie, 
such as The Guard, I thought to take a survey on something current and with a probability high success rate. 2 new releases I thought would be winners and that
are playing in Falmouth/Mashpee are Skyfall and Flight. I didn't recognize the other movies except for The Twilight Saga...... and Lincoln has yet to make The Cape.

Please voice your opinion, (understandably an odd request for our family).

I write back that I’ve seen both; both are excellent; and could we find a movie we all haven't seen? (In retrospect, this was a ridiculous request as I've seen just about everything that's out and good).  Others write back too.  In all, 14 emails are sent.  Other suggestions are made and nixed.  Some have seen Flight.  Some don't care what we see.  Some do care.  Some ignore all the emails entirely.  One jokingly recommends mini golf since picking a movie is becoming impossible.  Finally, I come up with what I think is a good suggestion, and write:

just got Amour, a love story about people in their 80's...
might be a great one to watch with the whole family


Tonight I get this response from Alexander, cc’ed to the 12 people on the lengthening email thread:

Sorry mom.  All of my friends and I at school were so dying to see "Amour," 
the love story about the people in their 80's, that we camped out at midnight 
the day it was released and saw that instead of going out, so I can't see that.  
I don't know if you would like it that much mom, but I think that Jack and Adam 
would love it.  Other than that, I'm fine with most movies.

Note:  Adam and Jack are 31 and 15 respectively.

I think everyone will see Skyfall; I'll try and win a game of gin off my mom, a feat that's more challenging than picking a movie for 12 people!

1 comment:

  1. You might want to consider bringing some *Gin* (not the card game), too.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete