Saturday, November 24, 2012

nylon or cotton underwear? (m)

I'm cleaning out my closet when the phone rings.

Aunt X: Hello, M.  What are you doing?
Me:  Hello, Aunt X, I'm just cleaning my closet.
Aunt X (who loves hand-me-downs):  Oh?  Anything good?
Me: Well, not exactly, I'm cleaning out the underwear drawer.
Aunt X: Nylon or cotton?
Me: Excuse me?
Aunt X: Are you tossing nylon or cotton underwear?
Me: Uh, both....why?
Aunt X: Well, I like nylon.  If you have any nylon bloomers, bring them to my house.

Does this sound like a normal conversation to you?  Only in my family.  Specifically, my father's side.  Aunt X is one of 11 children. They are the sons and daughters of immigrants. They grew up in the Depression.

They also have the first nickel they ever made.

Aunt X is very comfortable financially.  She and her husband both worked for over 30 years.  They had no children. They lived rent-free in the family house.  My uncle used to buy her diamond rings and earrings.

In other words, she does not need my underwear.

I call my cousin Patty.

Me: Patty. Aunt X asked if I had any underwear to bring down to her.
Patty:  I'm not surprised.  You know she prefers hand-me-downs to new stuff.  She always makes us take the Christmas presents back.  You're not going to give her your used underwear are you?
Me: No!  Not used!
Patty:  Seriously, for Christmas, let's get her a new blouse and have someone wear it for a day and then tell her it's used.  She'll love it.

I go back to cleaning.  I find about 20 pairs of underwear with tags on them, courtesy of my mother who always stocked up at Marshall's or TJ Maxx and brought them to me.  The price tags show the markdowns.  Vanity Fair...was $18.00 on sale for $2.00.

I pack the stuff up in a box and bring them to Aunt X's house.  She opens the box and is delighted.

Aunt X: This is better than Christmas!  I'm going to wear these nice beige ones to Patty's house for Thanksgiving!




No comments:

Post a Comment