Friday, November 2, 2012

tale of two cities (lyn)



Everything seems normal, until I put on the news, which airs all the time.

41 people have died in NYC, almost half in Staten Island
People can’t get gasoline
Public schools have been closed all week
The NYC Marathon, scheduled for Sunday, is cancelled, with thousands of runners from all over the world already here
People in Staten Island and other parts of NYC have no power, no water, no food, and in many cases, no shelter
Transportation is starting to get better, with some subway lines opening
Lower Manhattan is still dark, but some are getting their power back, slowly

The city is divided:  above 39th Street, you'd never know Sandy was here; below 39th Street the remains of her visit are everywhere.



I don’t know what to do but want to do something.  I basically haven’t left my home since Monday except to walk a block to get food.  I don’t want to unnecessarily take up space anywhere I’m not required to be.

I go online and register to volunteer.  I am promised a call within twenty-four hours.  It’s been almost that and I haven’t heard from anyone.

It is surreal.










No comments:

Post a Comment