Saturday, November 10, 2012

a matter of degrees? (m)

Harrison and I are on the Cape for a competition.  Staying at a nice hotel.  We are sharing the hotel with other skaters, some families who are here to use the heated outdoor pool on a beautiful Fall weekend, and the MIT African-American Women's Alliance Group.

Harrison and I don't like housekeeping coming in once we've set up camp.  I put the trash baskets out and look for the housekeeping cart for whatever we need....a bar of soap, a couple of face cloths, etc.

This morning, I open the door to the hallway and see the housekeeping cart but no housekeeper.  I walk over to the cart and help myself to a small bottle of shampoo and a small bar of soap.  We could use a box of Kleenex, but I don't see any.

I look around to figure out which room the housekeeping staff is servicing.  I hear a rustle coming from the other side of the door where the cart is parked.  I gently knock on the door.

An African-American woman opens the door, dressed in a nice outfit.  I apologize for bothering her saying, "Oh, I'm sorry.  I was looking for housekeeping (and point to the cart parked outside her door to explain why I chose her door)."

She screams at me: "I am NOT from Housekeeping!!  I have MANY degrees!  MANY!"

I am taken aback.  She is PISSED.

She continues ranting, "I would never do housekeeping.  I have too many degrees for that."

I wanted to tell her to get some people skills to complement her degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment