Tuesday, November 6, 2012

election day shopping (lyn)


A few weeks ago I buy an Amazon local coupon for D’Agastino, the grocery store a block from my apartment.  It costs me $15, and I get $30 worth of groceries, no restrictions.

After voting today, I go with my list to D’Agastino’s.  I end up buying:
  • cinnamon swirl 80-calorie bread
  • Vita Muffins
  • Pringles Light
  • zero fat milk
  • half and half
  • 4 double sized rolls of Bounty
  • 6 bottles of my new favorite drink…only 5 calories and healthy, I think


I’ve exceeded the 10-item limit for the express line, and am stuck behind some guy who could be feeding a family of ten for a month.

There are no baggers and the checkout kid is so deliberate in his actions, this must be his first day.

After fifteen minutes of game-playing on my iPhone, I am ready to checkout.  I give my phone number, as I always do, so points are accumulated on my virtual Rewards Card.  I have no idea how this bonus program works, but every so often I get a few cents off on items.

Today I’m asked if I want to use my points.  Sure, I say.  $2.85 is deducted four times — once for each purchase of Bounty, thereby making my purchase of Bounty free.

My total money outlay:  $5.71.

I need to re-think Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment