Sunday, November 4, 2012

roadside assistance (m)

Driving home from New York, we see long lines at the gas stations everywhere from Manhattan to Connecticut.  Amazing.





This reminds me of the 1973 Energy Crisis.  I would feel powerless if I couldn't gas up my vehicle.

Somewhere along I-95, my phone rings.  It's my brother calling to ask where one can get a gas tank to fill up a few gallons of gas.  His son's girlfriend is up from New Jersey (her area was hard hit by the storm) and she is headed back and wants to bring gas to her parents who are stuck.

My husband tells them to go to Home Depot.  They've tried every Home Depot and hardware store and gas station in Greater Boston.  They found a Home Depot in Danbury Ct. that has ONE left.

Just then, we remember the gas tank we had brought with us in case we needn't it.   We now know we don't.

Could it be possible that we are traveling towards Laura at the same time?

I call her cell.  She just got off 84 and is getting on I-91.  I'm just getting my car at New Haven and am heading on I-91.  We calculate that we are ten minutes apart.

And there, in an abandoned lot at Exit 7 off I-91 in Connecticut, we meet up.  I give Laura the tank filled with gas.  She says she could kiss my feet.

I tell her I want to take a photo of her and she strikes a pose.

 "Can you tell how empowered I feel?" she asks.




No comments:

Post a Comment