Monday, December 31, 2012

I wish... (lyn)


Carol invites Alexander and me to a small dinner party at her house.  Alexander agrees to go “only if Matthew is going to be there.”  Matthew is Carol’s 19-year old son, and was one of Alexander’s closest elementary-school friends.  They have grown apart over the years, attending different middle schools, high schools, and now college (Matthew is a sophomore at Dartmouth).  But the bond that formed so many years ago is still there, though perhaps a little weaker.


As usual, Carol outdoes herself with the food.  There are only 14 of us, though the food she’s prepared could easily have served twice that number.  Soon I’ll eat more carefully, but not tonight. 

The guests include a retired criminal judge, a professor at Yale, ex owners of one of the most exquisite French restaurants in NY (from 1979 to 2009), and a past president of the Ford Foundation.  It is a liberal and spirited group with much to say.  The conversation never lags, and the political conversations are interesting to listen to. I am at a loss to contribute with such well-informed and passionate debaters in the room.

Alexander and Matthew leave early, preferring to be with their friends.  I’m able to grab one last picture of 2012.


I leave before midnight as Alexander is having some kids over.  Even though he’s promised there will be no drinking, and even though I trust him, he is, after all, only 20, and well, good intentions are easily abandoned at that age.  I come home, and because I come home, the group at my house has already left to go  somewhere else.  

Before the ball drops, I reflect on the past year and welcome the new.  On a personal level, there have been many challenges this year, the major one’s being: my dad’s continued struggle with his health, Alexander’s adjustment to college, and my getting a great consulting gig that ends in disappointment.  But there has been joy too, highlighted by my nephew Jason’s engagement to Amanda,

Aside from the obvious wishes of good health, here are my hopes for 2013:
  • Alexander successfully completes two more semesters at Cornell
  • I find meaningful work
  •  I end the year no higher in weight than I am today, 126.8 (which is 4.6 higher than year-end 2012)
  •  I fall in love (which feels as likely as winning the Powerball lottery)
  • I continue to be rich with many deep and lasting friendships.

May it be a good year for us all.  And may this troubled world, and divided country, be in a better place a year from now.  Happy 2013. 




1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you too!!! May all your hopes for 2013 come true - especially the love (and if not that, then at least Powerball!!)

    ReplyDelete