Friday, December 28, 2012

an illegal purchase (lyn)


Over Thanksgiving, my dad became enamored with the watches of my nephews and brother-in-law.  They were expensive Rolexes and looked it.  My dad liked the way the watches felt and looked, and took to wearing them throughout the holiday.  I think he was a little sad when their owners rightfully reclaimed their watches before leaving.  So I decide to get my dad a Rolex.  I wish I could afford the real thing, but I can’t.  I settle for second best.

This morning I take the subway down to Chinatown and am immediately approached by a non-English speaking woman who seems to know only the words, watch and follow me.  I start to follow her when I remember a Law and Order episode where some out-of-towners follow a Chinese woman into a back alley where they witness a murder, and are later killed themselves.  I make some excuse about it being cold out and hurry away.

I am next approached by another Chinese woman who speaks better English and leads me to a Chinese man.  The man asks what I am looking for and I tell him: “A Rolex with a white face and a stainless steel band for a man.”  He is a high-tech sales guy and pulls out his iPhone with photos of different Rolex models.  I select one and he says, “Ah, you choose most expensive.  $65.”   I think it’s the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 that retails for $12,300.  I negotiate and buy it for $50.

I hope my dad likes it, though I’m sure he won’t appreciate the experience of buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment