Tuesday, December 25, 2012

movies and christmas (lyn)


This is my 7th consecutive year hosting Christmas movie day.  For a variety of reasons, this year’s group is a small one.

Ellen and her mom arrive around four, followed soon after by Carol.  The first movie we watch is Anna Karenina.  Consistent with prior years, I provide lots of junk food:  popcorn, candy, cookies, a brie en croute, and non-alcoholic drinks. The movie feels as long as the 1,000-page novel on which it’s based.  Ellen sort-of likes it; she’s a producer and can appreciate its heavy theatrical framework. No one else likes it, and we are happy when poor distraught Anna throws herself under a train.

Carol and I meet up with Robyn and Arlen for a quick slice of pizza around 7:30, then return to my house for wine, cake, and Perks of a Wallflower — a movie everyone thankfully likes.  Two bad movies in one day would not have  been good.

I don’t think I’m a very good hostess.  I worry too much about food spilling on my white sofa; I’m not comfortable with anything kitchen-related; and I hate looking at messes, so I want to clean up before it’s necessary.  My hair needs to be colored.  I forget to buy flowers.  And I can’t sit through a movie without doing something else at the same time, like playing Words With Friends.  But I’m grateful for having good friends who can generously ignore my weak hostess-ing skills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment