Sunday, December 9, 2012

an unbelievable return (lyn)


A few years ago (I’m not sure exactly when), I buy a down blanket.  I love it, and use it all year, except in winter when I use my duvet.  It never gets dirty, so I’ve had no reason to clean it.  A few days ago I notice a small bit of dirt, and decide it’s time.

I take the comforter to Joseph's, my miracle cleaner.  It costs $30 to have it washed, pressed, and a small hole repaired.  I get it back and notice that the edging is all wrinkled.  I bring it back to Larry (the owner of Joseph's, I never asked why the name change) and he explains that for some inexplicable reason, there is plastic piping along some of the edges.  The plastic melted in the dryer, causing the wrinkled edging.  He suggests that since it’s a manufacturing defect, I return it.

I have no receipts.  There are no tags on the item.  And, Bloomingdales no longer carries it.  I know this because Zelia also bought two a few years ago, and when she returned to Bloomingdales in October to buy a third, the store no longer carried any down blankets.

I really like this blanket and the blanket itself is still perfectly fine.  It’s just the wrinkled piping that’s defected.  I contemplate keeping it.  Really, why would Bloomingdales take this back with no proof of purchase, and more importantly, no proof that the store ever carried it?  I decide to try anyway.  I like a good challenge.

Before I lug the blanket all the way to Bloomingdales, I take some photos to be able to show a manager. 


I get to Bloomingdales and meet Allison, a two-months new floor manager.  She doesn’t remember the old down blankets, but enthusiastically tells me the store now carries down blankets again, albeit not the exact same one I bought.  I think she’s trying to convince me to buy a new one.  I start to take out my phone with the picture on it when she stops me.  “We’ll just give you the new one.” I don’t think she fully comprehends my problem.  Rather than just say thank-you, I say, “But I have no receipt.  No proof I purchased it here.  I don’t know what I paid.  How will you know how much to credit me?  Oh and here, let me show you the pictures I took of the defect.”  Allison smiles and says, “I don’t need to see the pictures.  Just bring it in and we’ll give you the new one.”  I’m still sure there will be a problem when I return, but I take her card, thank her and leave.

Today I pack up my down blanket and get to Bloomingdales early. I literally bump into Allison as I am getting off the elevator onto the bedding floor  “Just see any sales associate and they will help you,” she tells me.  Again, I don’t think she understands the complexity of what I am asking.  But she walks me over to a sales associate and says, “This customer's down blanket is defective.  Give her a new one.”

And that’s it.  The sales associate packages up one of the new ones.  Then I say, “I feel funny asking this, but I did spend $30 to have it cleaned.”   She takes $30 off a pair of pillowcases I buy.

I thank her profusely and say, “This is why I shop at Bloomingdales.”  She smiles and thanks me.  And, she doesn’t ask for my old blanket back.  I think to ask if she wants it, but decide against it.

I take my new blanket, my old blanket, my new pillowcases, and rush to the elevators before she changes her mind.  I even splurge and take a cab home.

No comments:

Post a Comment