Saturday, December 1, 2012

drama buying ice-cream (lyn)


I love Amazon Local and Groupon.  Aside from a dreadful manicure I got recently, most of the values I’ve gotten have been great.  Especially when I buy from vendors I know.

Last June, I bought 12 coupons for Sedutto — the great local ice cream store around the corner.  $5 per coupon for $10 of ice-cream.  Sedutto ‘s is a tiny place that is always packed, regardless of temperature.

The terms are on the coupon; today it expires.  Specifically, the coupon reads:

The amount paid for the voucher expires five years from the purchase date.  The remaining promotional value of the voucher above what you paid for it will expire on December 1, 2012.

I go to use one of my remaining coupons.   The following conversation ensues.

Rich, the manager: This coupon is only worth $5 today.

Me:  No it isn't.  Look. It says right on the coupon that it expires tomorrow.  Tomorrow it’s worth $5, but today it’s worth 10.

Rich:  That’s what I thought too, but I called Amazon and they said it expires today.

Me:  Well they’re wrong.

Meanwhile, another guy comes in, also with a coupon, and he is told the same thing.  And then a third person comes up to the counter, and also joins in the argument.  She too, points out the expiration date is December 1, today, not tomorrow.

Rich does not handle stress well.  He is adamant.  “That’s what Amazon told me.  If you have a problem with it, call Amazon!”

The argument continues.  I say, “It’s not worth losing good customers over $5.”  Rich gets nasty.  “We don’t need customers like you.  You are being cheap.  You had six months to use the coupon.”  “That’s irrelevant," I say.

So this other guy and I decide to call Amazon.  We are waiting to be put on hold when Rich has a change of heart.  “Forget it.  You guys are right.  I’ll give you the $10 worth of ice cream.”  And then he apologizes.  And then I feel really bad too.  Rich seems like a nice guy who was overly stressed and then used poor judgment.

By the time I leave, everyone is smiling.  Conflict resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment