Wednesday, December 19, 2012

bonding at costco (lyn)


Before Alexander came home, I created a folder labeled, “Things To Do Over Break.”  In it are art exhibits to see, restaurants to visit, clothes to shop for, and even a play I think Alexander might like.  Today we do one of the things on the list.  We go to Costco.  I didn’t go before Alexander came home, as I wanted him to come with me with his own shopping list.

In the past, my trips to Costco have gone something like this:  

Zelia and I go together. 
We split up, and then meet 45 minutes later in the meat department.
We are in and out of the store in an hour, and the bill is usually about $200.

Today is nothing like that.  Alexander has never been to Costco, and although he generally hates shopping of any kind, he surprisingly likes this store. 

We shop together.  Up and down every aisle.  Alexander chooses foods I never buy:
  • A bag of organic brown rice that looks like a large sack of oats big enough to feed a stable of horses. 
  • Twelve boxes of egg whites. 
  • Two large all-grain-healthy breads, double checking to make sure there is no "high fructose corn syrup" listed in the ingredients.
  • Three big containers of oatmeal.  “I eat 3-4 servings every morning for breakfast,” he tells me.   (This is the one food that makes me throw up to look at). 
  • Four pounds of chicken breasts.  “I need protein every day for lunch.”  He doesn’t want the already cooked, frozen chicken strips, “too many preservatives.”  (And yet only months ago he was regularly eating frozen chicken fingers).  
  • A $20 bag of pine nuts and a $13 bag of almonds.  Alexander returns a similarly priced bag of shelled pistachios, agreeing that $33 on nuts is sufficient.   
  • Lots of fresh fruit. 
  • And two man-sized bags of spinach with a promise: “I plan to make it everyday."

Unlike my quick one hour trip with Zelia, Alexander and spend over three hours at Costco.   My bill is an astounding $466.47, and that is after we reluctantly return four items totaling $35.86. 

We enjoy our afternoon excursion as much as any museum exhibit.  And now, we have food at home to satisfy us both.  Mission accomplished.

1 comment:

  1. Your Costco food list really cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh!

    It reminds me of how much food my husband eats. Where do they put it all??

    ReplyDelete