Monday, December 31, 2012

perspective (lyn)


I admit it.  I like watching Judge Judy. Not everyday, but every now and then.

Recently I watched a case where a parent is describing his son.  “He’s basically a good kid.  He’s never been in jail.  Never been arrested.”  Wow, I think.  Is this his standard for goodness? 

This morning I am talking to Mike, the building handyman.  He’s in his early 40’s.  Aziz (one of our doormen) is telling him about my lockout yesterday, and I say to Mike (knowing he has kids), “Just wait till your kids are older.”  Aziz jumps in and says, “Mike’s kids are old.  15 and 20.  He’s already a grandfather.”  Yes, Mike has two grandkids, ages two and three.  His 20 year-old son had his first baby at age 17.

A friend tells me of a friend of hers who comes home and finds her 21-year old son having sex with his girlfriend on the kitchen floor.  “And I just re-did the kitchen,” the mother says.  My friend doesn’t ask which is more upsetting.

And so…

A messy living room?  Forgotten keys?  Sleeping till noon?  I’d say I’m pretty lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment