Saturday, August 18, 2012

up to Cornell (lyn)

John says he’ll pick us up at 7:30; that means he has to leave his house in NJ at 6:30.  Yesterday, I bought breakfast foods and put coffee and water in my coffeemaker.  I set my alarm for 6:30, and plan to be downstairs, ready to go when John arrives.

Instead, at 7:30 I am awakened by my phone.  John is here.  I must have turned off my alarm in my sleep.    Not a good way to start the morning,

Alexander and I rush to shower, dress, and pack up breakfast. John patiently waits.

It’s a gorgeous day and the ride up is effortless.  Alexander misses most of it.


John’s Mercedes can do everything short of picking Alexander’s courses for next semester.  It can analyzes gas consumption, tell the weather, announce upcoming traffic, and even beep if you try to change lanes and don’t have enough room.  My last car, a 1991 Acura Integra, had Power Steering and Air Conditioning as its total add-ons.  John’s car has eight seat adjustments for its three sections.  It helps ease the comfort of driving 600 miles.

We stop at a local farm stand I remember from my last trip.  




I buy some fruit, vegetables and a jar of clover honey.  John tells me (and the store owners concur) that honey never expires so I get the biggest size.



I ask the owners for a lunch recommendation, and they tell us to go to the Country Kitchen, six miles from where we just came.  We drive back.  

The outside is not the quaint restaurant its name implies:


But the inside is.  The stuffed bear motif, friendly patrons, and home cooking is just as the name suggests.






1 comment: