Sunday, August 5, 2012

bad subway ride could be worse (lyn)

I take the subway downtown.  It takes minutes to go from the Upper Eastside to Chinatown.  A cab would have taken twice as long and cost ten times as much.  The ride there is great; the ride home is not. 

First, the subway I need to take back uptown is not working today.  All sorts of construction-sized vehicles are on the track instead of the #6 line. I now need to take an express train nine blocks further than I want to go.  And it’s hot out.

But even worse, the person sitting next to me is playing a video game with the sound on and no headphones.  Every ten seconds I hear, buh-beep, buh-beep, ding-ding-ding-ding.  I mean, c’mon? How can this person ignore the fact that all the people around her …who are NOT engaged in her game…are now subjected to the beeps and dings of her performance.  I look around at my fellow subway riders and all seem oblivious to this annoyance.  I hear my son whispering to me, “Don’t say anything.  Besides, she might have a knife.  You never know.”  She doesn’t look like the type to be concealing a knife, but what if I’m wrong?  I’ve been watching a lot of Law and Order lately.  

Bad things can happen on the subway.  On the bright side, though, it is still better than seeing a rat crawl up a sleeping man.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqV8dz6sW4


No comments:

Post a Comment