Tuesday, August 7, 2012

unsolved mystery (lyn)

At 1:30 I say to Alexander, “I’m going over to Agata (the local gourmet grocer, a half a block from my apartment) to pick up dinner.”  He responds with, “I’ll come too so I can get some bread.”  We go.  I’m standing in the hot food line and say, “Do you want chicken for dinner?”  “Yes, “Alexander says, then leaves with his fresh bread while I continue shopping.

I buy a couple of avocados, chicken, salmon, roasted vegetables, brussel sprouts, and chocolate mousse.  The total, including the $2.17 watermelon, comes to $29.64.  The cashier puts the watermelon in one bag and everything else in a second bag.  I come directly home,  put the bags on the counter, and say to my son, “Alexander, can you put the groceries away please?”  “Yes,” he says.   And we never see them again.

I go to a meeting downtown, come home, and begin making dinner around 7:30.  I look in the refrigerator and can’t find the chicken.  Then I realize I also can’t find the salmon.  The vegetables.  The avocado and the mousse.  Everything that was in bag number two is now missing.  Poof.  Gone.

I go back to Agata.  Could I have left the second bag there?  Could someone else have walked off with it?  Yes, that must be it.  I check with my cashier from six hours ago; she’s certain I left with two bags.  How can she be so certain when I’m not?  The manager graciously offers to check the store’s video.  I’m impressed.   He leaves for about ten minutes, but returns with bad news: the video shows me leaving the store with two bags.  I feel like I’m inside an episode of Dateline.

Now I’m afraid I have lost my mind, and the groceries are going to show up in a closet or under my bed.  Alexander and I check everywhere, even my file cabinet.  Nada.

Alexander gets upset because I sound angry.  I am.  I interrogate him.  Does he remember putting away the salmon, etc?  No, he doesn’t remember.  Didn’t he think it strange that I left the house saying I was going to buy dinner and then I come home with only watermelon?  No, that doesn’t seem strange to him.  What about the fact that I told him I was buying him chicken for dinner--as I was in the line to buy it-- and then come home without it?  Did he notice that?  Nope.

The only thing I can think of is this:  Alexander unpacked the bag of watermelon, made himself lunch, and then threw out the second bag thinking it was garbage. But he argues back, “You have no case.  Where’s the proof?”

I actually hope my scenario is correct.  Otherwise, the groceries are hidden somewhere in my apartment, rotting away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment