Thursday, August 9, 2012

contest between two steaks (lyn)

It’s restaurant week. I make a reservation for Alexander and me at Capital Grille.  Although my finances are shaky (to say the least), I decide the splurge will be worth it. 

But then I notice that Alexander really doesn’t care.  He’s just as happy having a nice dinner in.  And so I cancel our reservation and decide to cook.

This morning, I take two steaks out of the freezer, then go to Agata and pick up some mozzarella, roasted vegetables (again), avocado (again), caramelized shallots, chocolate mouse (again), and some fancy herb-garlic butter.  $32 vs. the $100 I would have spent at Capital Grille.

I cook to perfection two steaks:  one a prime ribeye, shrink-wrapped from Zabars with a sell-by date of October 29, 2011; the other a prime strip steak from Costco, dated December 14.  Everything I freeze, I date. 

There is no comparison: the strip steak wins by a huge margin.  Alexander declares, “It’s one of the best steaks I’ve ever eaten.”

I learn two things: 
  1. I don’t have to defrost a steak over night for it to be good; and
  2. I won’t be buying ribeye again.

No comments:

Post a Comment