Friday, August 17, 2012

a very nice guy (lyn)

Alexander is returning to school tomorrow.  It’s 5pm, and not one thing is yet packed.  Plus, we are going to Capital Grille for dinner tonight with my friend Shari, and her son Sam, who is also Alexander’s good friend. 

My original plan was to take the Cornell bus up to school and stay overnight.  Alexander’s interest in having me accompany him back to school links exclusively to my ability to help set up and clean his room.  The transportation to Ithaca and back, plus the hotel, is almost $700.  Alexander would be better off hiring a cleaning service. I would feel guilty, but I doubt he would mind.

I call my friend John, whom I haven’t seen or spoken to since we had dinner in March.  We met in February of 2009, so I’ve known him now for three and a half years.  Our pattern is to get together for a great dinner; catch up on life; and then see each other four or five months later when I call him.  Based on our frequency of contact, you wouldn’t know that I like him as much as I do.  John is an incredibly kind person.

Without hesitation, John agrees to drive me and Alexander up to Cornell (about four hours away), help unpack once we arrive; drive to the local storage company to pick up the things Alexander left there over the summer; drive me back to NYC; and then return to his home in NJ (which, by the way, is an hour closer to Cornell).  John's graciousness extends to questions like:  Which vehicle should I bring?  The Mercedes?  A van?  A pick up truck?  Should I bring my tool kit?  (John is great with his hands). 

Last night we speak to finalize our plans. 

Me:  What do you want for breakfast?  I was thinking I’d make bagel, cream cheese and lox sandwiches?
John:  Nothing for me thanks.
John:  C’mon.  I’m going to get you something.  What would you like?
John:  Okay, how about a yogurt with some fruit on it?
Me:  Done.  Now how do you like your coffee?
John:  Oh, don’t bother; that’s okay.  Really, I don’t want to inconvenience you.

He doesn’t want to inconvenience me?  He’s gotta be kidding!  Said by anyone else, I would think they were being sarcastic.  But not John.  He truly is that nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment