Saturday, August 11, 2012

a small act of kindness (lyn)

Every Saturday I go to the local farmer’s market a few blocks from my house.  There, I buy a variety of baked goods, vegetables, fruits, dairy, and the occasional fish.  The offerings change by season.

Today, for example, I buy corn on the cob, a basket of small red strawberries, a Kirby cucumber, heirloom tomatoes, small cherry tomatoes that taste like candy, a dozen eggs, a pound of flounder, and two apple tarts.

Last time I went to the cart of the man who sells the pastries and breads he wasn’t there.  I asked his replacement  where he was, and was told he was on vacation. I was glad he hadn’t left his job, though I don't even know his name.  He appears to be Filipino, but who knows, he might be American.  His English is good, though in truth, we say little to each other.  Our entire relationship consists solely of a weekly exchange between money and baked goods.

Today I see him and welcome him back.  I order my usual.  When he hands me my tarts, he also hands me a bookmark.  Surprised, I say, “What’s this?"  He responds, “I brought you a little something from my vacation.”   When I get home, I read the saying on the bookmark;  it's from the Dalai Lama:

Loving Kindness
Right from the moment of
Our birth,
We are under the care
And kindness of our parents
And then later on in our life
When we are oppressed
By sickness
And become old,
We are again dependent
On the kindness of others.
Since at the beginning
And end of our lives
We are so dependent on
Other’s kindness,
How can it be
That in the middle
We neglect kindness towards others?

Now of course I don’t know if my pastry vendor grabbed a bunch of these for free downtown somewhere, but I don’t think so.  I actually believe care and thoughtfulness when into his selection. I can't imagine being on vacation and thinking of getting him something.

I am truly touched.  Apparently, he lives by the Dalai Lama’s words.

No comments:

Post a Comment